Furniture + Home Decor Retail Boutique Store
WL PAINTING PHILOSOPHY
ENVIRONMENTAL + PRESERVING QUALITY
OUR SIGNATURE FINISH!
Often seen in our store are painted antique + vintage pieces that have a range of distressing. Light, Medium and Heavy distressing is crafted according to the piece, its attributes and future function. It is a final detail to highlight the woodworking of a piece, and give a naturally worn look - enhancing character and re-incorporating the authentic wood that lies beneath.
We also finish pieces in a solid colour, or high gloss for a modern take - special projects + requests always welcome!
As an alternative to replacing, we encourage preserving the furniture you already have and/or a piece you are going to purchase that has the right bones (just not the right colour or finish) whether an antique heirloom or a piece with sound construction + distinct detail, we transform these pieces to fit your style through colour, painted solid or distressed, adding new hardware, a marble-top, or two-tones - all to enhance, customize, and preserve
A distressed finish, also called 'antiquing' provides a look of aged character to a painted or stained surface.
Crafting the appearance of natural wear, we will often use a hand finishing process. Sanding the paint at intentional spots, grooves, edges, carvings, and sometimes scoring the wood finish - all to replicate the look organically achieved with a century in the weather!
These processes leave the surface of the piece with an antique look + feel where each piece is truly unique.
WHAT OUR TYPICAL PROCESS LOOKS LIKE
Customer drops item(s) of at WL Oakville Warehouse, or a pick-up + delivery services is available
Upon arrival, WL will inspect the item(s) to assess condition and confirm the painting estimate stands (repair needed, condition + details not captured in photo)
- item is sanded + cleaned by hand
- remove hardware/knobs when applicable
IMPORTANCE POF SURFACE PREP?
- removes any protective varnish or lacquer that is on the surface of the wood
- making it easier for the primer coat to adhere
PURPOSE OF PRIMER?
- helps create a base for an even paint finish, and future chipping
- helps block water, grease + stains that can bleed through your topcoat
- improves adhesion of the topcoat so your paint will last longer + look better!
SANDING AFTER PRIMER
- sand primed surface after it has dried with a fine-grit sandpaper
(this helps the paint bond to the primer even better than it
PAINT + REPEAT
DRYING, HARDENING; CURING
the paint drying process corresponds to the evaporation of all solvents and diluents added to the paint in order to make it liquid or reduce its viscosity
the hardening of paint corresponds to the process by which the main polymer of the paint it creates and hardens with all other pigments and additives which comprises the paint, creating a solid and adherent coating
the paint curing process corresponds both drying and hardening process, curing is the amalgamation of drying + hardening
* 30 days is recommended to keep the surface clear of object during its curation
- we stock a straight black, 'Factory Black' and white, 'Oxford White'
- custom paint colour optional, to be provided by customer
- distressing/antiquing finish is available in light, medium or heavy
- high gloss
BUILT IN TO QUOTE
- depending on the piece, mineral spirits may be used to remove dirt
- treatment for covering up stains and bleed through may be required in cases of staining items
- cleaning cloths, soft angled brushes for ornate details etc
- gloves, sanding blocks, painters tape, drop cloth, lint-free rags
- goggles, face mask, or a NIOSH approved respirator - this is in the
case of prepping antique + some vintage furniture, for protection
against potential toxic lead dust
ALONG WITH AN ALL TRADITIONAL PIECE (EX. A ORIGINAL WOOD ANTIQUE CHEST OF DRAWERS) AND AN ALL MODERN PIECE (EX. AN ACRYLIC WATERFALL COFFEE TABLE), WE ALSO EXPRESS THE NEW TRADITIONAL BY COMBINING BOTH ATTRIBUTES WITHIN ONE PIECE - LET'S SAY AN ANTIQUE COMMODE WITH DARK WOOD, BRASS HANDLES + BROWN MARBLE-TOP - IF YOU PAINT THE BASE, REPLACE WITH THE TOP WITH WHITE MARBLE AND PAINT THE HANDLES WITH LIGHT DISTRESSING TO QUIET THEM, OR REPLACE THEM COMPLETELY, YOU WILL HAVE THE PHYSICAL PROFILE OF THE CLASSIC COMMODE, THE INTEGRITY OF HAND-CRAFTED + SOLID WOOD, ALONG WITH UPDATED FINISHES THAT BALANCE IT!
THERE FOR AN OLDER PIECE/STYLE WITH NEW COMPONENTS = A HYRID?
HOW DO YOU MIX TRADITIONAL AND MODERN?
HOW ABOUT A BLEND OF TWO TO BECOME ONE? A CUSTOM PIECE REFLECTING YOUR NEEDS TODAY, UTILIZING THE BEST OF YESTERDAY
THE NEW TRADITIONAL
TERM TO DESCRIBE CLASSIC LINES WITH AN UPDATED FINISH
"Just a note to say thank you for the lovely work your team did in refinishing our families dining room set.
We are so pleased and everyone has been asking who did it!
- JEANNE B., BURLINGTON